What You Should Know About CBD For Dogs
CBD oil is becoming increasingly popular not only for humans but for dogs as well, because of its incredible health benefits.
Our dogs Riley and Wynter LOVE CBD and we are so happy with the improvements we have seen in both of their lives that we are always happy to share why we use CBD for our dogs.
As dog lovers, we are really happy with the positive effects of CBD we have seen with our dogs. CBD or Cannabidiol is a cannabinoid derived from the cannabis plant (also known as marijuana) that does not have the same psychoactive effects as THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). CBD will NOT get your dog high.
CBD is available for pets in both tinctures and treats.
This post contains affiliate links that I make a small commission on with no added fee to your purchase.
Is CBD safe for dogs?
Yes, CBD is safe for dogs. Our veterinarians and I talk about how much and how often we are giving our dogs CBD oil.
The side effects can include dry mouth and some sleepiness with increased doses.
We give Wynter an increased dose during thunder storms and fireworks because she becomes very nervous. Because she is 11, we don't like her to get too worked up, so we give her 1 full dropper of tincture. She is 30lbs. This usually makes her a little sleepy and she naps on my bed. However she is never fully passed out, and can fully function.
Giving her just a little more CBD oil helps her to manage situational stress much better.
We do not give our dogs human CBD tincture because the human strengths are higher. We also do not give our dogs any product with THC because we don't believe there is a health benefit for them.
CBD has helped my senior dog run like a puppy.
Because senior dogs have different health needs, we are very careful with our Wynter. She took very good care of me for many years as my service dog, and now in her retirement we do everything we can to make sure she is given the best.
When we noticed that she seemed a little stiff getting up, she wasn't running as fast as she used to, and started sleeping a little more, we added CBD treats into her daily diet. We saw a dramatic increase in her mobility and overall mood in just a few days.
How long does CBD last in my dog's system?
All pets are different, different breeds and weights can change how fast they metabolize the CBD.
Our dogs get a dropper of CBD every morning over their breakfast. They also get CBD dog treats in the afternoon.
We keep this every day routine to ensure that they are keeping it in their system. But it could take a couple of weeks to leave their system after you stop using it.
What are the benefits of giving CBD to dogs?
Dogs have and endocannabinoid system (ECS) that interacts with and regulates bodily functions like digestion, mood, stress response and pain response. Many dogs see improvement in several areas of their health. Though results may vary, we have seen better health in our senior dog Wynter and our Addisonian dog Riley.
We always suggest talking to your vet and doing your own investigation before starting CBD. But here are some benefits we have discovered in our research of CBD for dogs:
- Promotes healthy joints and better movement for senior pets.
- Supports circulation and cardiovascular functions
- Assists the immune system to fight off diseases
- Promotes relaxation and eases anxiety
- Supports brain function and health
- Supports normal blood pressure and fights off some cancer cells
- Supports a healthy gut and improves digestion
- Helps eliminate free radicals associated with the aging process
- It helps in gaining an appetite.
- It aids in easing the anxiety, nausea which might happen due to car rides.
- It aids in controlling excessive barking.
- It improves the lack of energy and vitality in dogs.
- It aids in easing the trips to groomer or vets
- Fights epilepsy and seizures in dogs, calming down the episodes
- Reduces or even kills off tumors.
- Help reduce chronic pain and arthritis
- The anti-inflammatory properties reduce the inflammation associated with IBS
- CBD has been used to successfully treat dogs with glaucoma
- Improves sleep and reduces muscle spasms
- CBD is a powerful Antioxidant and Anti-proliferative
- Treats gingivitis and tooth decay
Where do I find CBD for dogs?
We have tried several brands of CBD for dogs. We recommend a broad spectrum CBD product with no THC. Make sure you check the third party testing and look for pesticides and heavy metals.
Our dogs have their preferences. Some CBD tinctures must not have tasted very good and our dogs wouldn't take it. We don't recommend artificially flavored tinctures. Our dogs didn't like the fake taste.
Wynter and Riley prefer Joy Organics Pet CBD treats and the tinctures. Wynter likes the softer texture of their treats and the stronger smell. Riley doesn't like CBD with strong hemp or earthy smell.
So you might have to try a few different products to find a good match. But always make sure you are checking the MG and making sure there aren't a lot of other ingredients.