Creative Ideas for an Intimate Backyard Wedding
There’s something very special about a small gathering in a cozy backyard to celebrate a marriage. It’s the perfect way to create a casual and unique wedding
Whether planning your own backyard wedding or lending your darling farmette to a couple for the day, using our creative ideas for an intimate backyard wedding is the perfect way to create a day that matches the couple’s vision, full of simplicity, natural beauty, and beautiful memories. Let’s look at how easy it is to incorporate all of those things, right in your own backyard.
This post contains affiliate links that I make a small commission on with no added fee to your purchase.
Take advantage of the natural beauty of your surroundings when planning the wedding. Here are a few ideas:
- Create an arch for the ceremony by draping dreamy, sheer fabric between two branches on a tree.
- For seating, pull out any wooden chairs from inside the house. Bringing dining chairs outside brings a nostalgic feeling of simpler times. Also, grab every old quilt you can, and bales of hay for sitting around picnic-style as the happy couple exchanges vows.
- Photographs are easy when looking for great backgrounds during a backyard wedding. Hang bouquets of flowers from the perfect old tree for a photo background. Or better yet, if there is a field nearby, make sure the view isn’t blocked, and a seat is near it for pictures.
Look around and you may be surprised at how the natural backdrop does a lot of the work for you.
Light Up the Night
Is there anything more romantic than an evening ceremony outside? Even if the ceremony is during the day, if the fun continues to roll into the night, keep guests happy with soft lighting.
Vintage-style bulbs in a warm amber glow give the backyard a welcoming atmosphere, beckoning guests to sit and stay awhile. Use strings of them to hang from trees or along a deck.
Candles in every shape and size, stuck in corners and at all different levels around the yard create the most romantic evening atmosphere outside.
Feed Your Guests
Possibly the best part of a wedding for many, your guests look forward to what’s on the menu. As long as you’re going with a casual backyard wedding, choose low stress and casual food options. Here are some food thoughts to add to your creative ideas for an intimate backyard wedding:
- A food truck right in the driveway or on the land if possible.
- Hire a caterer to serve finger foods.
- Butler served hors d’oeuvres are a bit more formal but can be casual, too.
- Order pizzas. Yes, it’s different, but that’s what makes it fun.
Guests need to wet their whistle while eating so be sure to prepare for a long day of cocktails. Once you know the date of the wedding, start stocking up little by little on favorite spirits so it spreads out the expense. Backyard weddings are most often during the warm months so focus on refreshing drinks that people lean toward during the summer.
In the end, what matters is the people getting married end up in wedded bliss. A backyard wedding is the perfect way to reach that goal in a low-stress and intimate setting.