Last night I was in the mood to create something. But since we have been traveling, our fridge was pretty bare.
Now, some people might find this a reason to go grocery shopping. Not me! I find that I am most creative when I have to pick through what is in my pantry. It's like my own episode of Chopped!
In the pantry I found 1 sweet potato, I have no idea why I only had one. I found a roll of polenta – always handy to have! I had a package of shrimp in the freezer and a small carton of tiny tomatoes. What to make?
Well, this is what I came up with:
Grilled Polenta cakes with Shrimp, Tomatoes & Sweet potato hash on the side.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 1kg pre-made polenta tube, cut into 3/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 lb large peeled shrimp – (These were $8.49 at Target in the freezer section. The Cartwheel app for Target often has them for less. This week is 5% off. ) Click on the picture for the sale.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, whole
Sweet potato hash:
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and grated – Use your food processor and save time.
- 1/2 chopped sweet onion – chopping onions? Chop a whole onion and save what you don't use.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use 2 tbsp oil to brush polenta rounds on both sides. Place on grill. ( I like to use my cast iron grill indoors. ) These are going to cook on med-low while you make everything else.
- Add your grated sweet potatoes, onion, butter, salt and pepper to a medium frying pan. Cook on medium heat 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Toss shrimp with 1 tbsp oil, salt& pepper, paprika and lemon juice onto half of your grill. Grill shrimp for about 2 min per side or until pink and opaque.
- Heat a large deep frying pan to medium high heat. Add tiny tomatoes – yes that is what the package called them! Let them cook in the with the shrimp until they pop open. Add the fresh grated lemon peel to the top. The tomatoes will burst with flavor and give a nice moisture to the shrimp.
- Add shrimp to tomato mixture. Grill polenta rounds, without moving them, until marks appear and they are easy to remove with a spatula, about 5 min per side.
Serve polenta topped with shrimp and tomato mixture and your hash on the side.