So, those of you who know me personally know that I am a vegetarian and love to cook. So each year I spend a great amount of time looking for new recipes. When we have big family gatherings, everyone always expects us to have an interesting and tasty new main dish. Through the years we have had some …amazing dishes, some passed down family favorites, and some dishes that weren’t so good.
However one of the things we are asked about most is “Do you eat Tofurkey?”
Yes, we have Tofurkey. It’s a family favorite and every year we have someone ask us if the roast is Tofurkey. Sometimes when they are asked if they want to try it we get one of two answers.. “OH HECK NO!” or “ Maybe just a taste” and each year we surprise friends and family with the fact that Tofurkey actually tastes like.. wait for it.. turkey. Only without the bird.
Roast Tofurky baked w/Caramelized Onion & Cherries
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced very thin
1 cup dried sour cherries
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons apple cider
1 Tofurky roast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, cherries, brown sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
- Stir in mustard and apple cider, and simmer for two more minutes.
- Place Tofurky roast on sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and spread with the onion mixture.
- Wrap roast snugly with the foil. Place in roasting pan, and place on center rack of oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover roast for last 10 minutes of baking.
- Slice roast, and serve with some of the pan juices spooned over it.