I love to travel. So any time I get the chance to hop on a plane and head out for a getaway, I’m on board.
We really like Chicago, Illinois. The city is easy to navigate, there are plenty of things to see and do for all ages. From morning til night, we take the city in.
- The River tours – the river tours of Chicago are a great way to see the architecture beauty of Chicago, learn some unusual facts, and enjoy a slow morning. I loved how our guide pointed out the tiny details of the buildings that I hadn’t ever noticed before. However, the tours are long. Our girls enjoyed being out in the sun for a while, but did get bored pretty quickly.
I loved spending the morning out with my husband, taking pictures, and relaxing. Chicago is a busy city and I liked taking the time to relax and enjoy being outside.
- Art- Chicago is home to some of the most amazing art museum, incredible sculptures and fountains, and imaginative media pieces.
The Art Institute of Chicago is home to American Gothic, unusual ancient statues, and incredible art by Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Jasper Johns.
Take your time, explore the museums. They typically take 1-3 hours to visit.
- Parks- You will also find throughout the city that art is everywhere. From Grant Park’s walking legs to the Cloud Gate ( Also known as the Bean), art is everywhere! During the summer, check out the Crown Fountain and cool off in the water or enjoy Millennium Park.
- Shopping for Miles! – The Loop, the Magnificent Mile, North Michigan Ave. No matter what you call it, the heart of Chicago is on North Michigan Ave. You will find every big name in fashion here from Macy’s to trendy boutiques.
I found a tea shop – Argo Tea (435 N. Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL) that I really enjoyed visiting. I was very surprised to find a large variety of teas. They are very well stocked, easy to talk to, and great food choices. It is a little pricey, but similar to a coffee house experience. Ask questions and learn about the teas!
- EAT! Chicago is home to some of the best dining experiences in the country. But be prepared to make reservations, wait for a table, and don’t be in a rush for your food anywhere downtown.
Start your day with Strawberry waffles or Eggs Benedict at Yolk (1120 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605). You might have to wait, but it is worth every second of it!
Take a break from shopping and do lunch at Grand Lux Cafe (600 N Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60611 312-276-2500) Call ahead and get a reservation if you can. But the wait isn’t ever very long. The food portions are large, beautiful, and the options are creative and colorful! This is one of our favorites when we visit Chicago.
Don’t miss the Pizza! You must try Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria – River North
The pizzas are HUGE! They are masters at deep dish pizza. One piece is plenty, but who can stop at one? I love the vegetarian selections.
Giordano’s Pizza – Long wait, but worth it! The atmosphere and service aren’t what you come to Giordano’s for. Both could use some updating and help. But the food is what you came here for. You will wait. ORDER ahead of time! Then you will wait for them to bring it out. There is a lot of waiting. But once you get your food, your mouth will thank you!