One of the hardest and maybe the best things that I’ve done personally for my health was to give up dairy in my diet. Fighting Lyme Disease, my body has enough going against it. So when one of my doctors suggested getting rid of dairy in my diet, I had to give it a try.
Cashew cheese was one of those foods that at first I rejected. It sounded awful and I wasn’t sure that the texture could ever replace my beloved cheese. However with some trial and error, I’ve found that there are some recipes worth keeping for those days when you want some cheesey goodness.
So if you have given up dairy for dietary reasons, gone vegan, or you are just looking to try something new, give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it.
As someone who has chosen to avoid dairy, cashew cheese is quickly becoming one of my favorite substitutes- I made this with lentil pasta one evening and no one even knew it was not “real” cheese.
This is how I make mine:
- 1 cup raw cashews (I soak these in water in a measuring cup for a minimum of three hours)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (you can add more if you like more tang to the cheese)
- 1 crushed clove of fresh garlic
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( I love pepper)
- 1/3 cup water (for more sauce like consistency)
- Place all of the above ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fully blended
- Slowly add in the water and blend- you may need to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is getting mixed in evenly
View original post 34 more words